Shoreland Zone


When do I need a building permit?

You need a building permit for the following activity:

  • Any structural alterations, enlargement or relocation of a building or other structure.
  • Building a deck
  • Installing a swimming pool
  • Finishing any unfinished space
  • Any new construction

How long does it take to get a building permit?

When do you need it? We will do our best to issue permits to meet your schedule. This may mean partial permits, i.e., foundation permit while more complete framing information is gathered.

What can I do without a permit?

You don't need a permit for "ordinary" repairs as long as such repairs do not include:

  • the cutting away of any wall, partition, or portion thereof,
  • removing or cutting any structural beam or support,
  • removing or changing any part of a required means of egress, i.e., a corridor, required door, window, etc, or
  • does not rearrange parts of a structure that affects the exit requirements.

You do not need a permit for the following activities:

  • Residing
  • Reroofing
  • Replacing a window if there is no change in size

How long do I have to complete my project?

Work must be started within 1 year after issuance of the permit. Upon application submitted before the expiration, the building inspector may grant an extension of up to one year as long as the ordinance provisions permitting that type of construction have not changed. The permit will expire if the work is not substantially complete within two years from the date it was issued. The building inspector may issue a conditional certificate of occupancy or a permit extension for one additional year if, in his judgment, reasonable progress is being made and nuisance conditions do not exist.

What information is needed to apply for a building permit?

You need to have building plans showing appropriate construction details; at a minimum you will need floor plans and structural cross section. Depending upon how complex the project is, you may need to have an engineer review the plans. If the work will expand the structure a plot plan of the lot showing distance to the property lines will also be necessary.

There may be other permits and/or approvals needed from other departments within the Town or from state agencies; i.e. Planning Board, Public Works, and Zoning Board of Appeals, DEP, or State fire Marshall, prior to, during, or after issuance of a permit by this office.

Do I need a permit to do electrical work on my own house?

Yes, you do need a permit for electrical work.  It must be performed by a Maine licensed electrician.  Work mut be inspected for code compliance.
Do I need a permit to do plumbing work on my own house?

Yes, you do need a permit to do plumbing work and the work must be inspected for code compliance.

Do I need a permit to put up a fence?

No, you do not need a permit to put up a fence. The Town has no regulations concerning fences. We advise that you know where your property lines are so that you do not place a fence either on your neighbor's property or within the road right of way, don't assume you own all the way to the pavement.

Which codes are used in the Town of Raymond?

  • The Maine Uniform Builing and Energy Code
  • IRC 2009- Residential Building Code
  • IBC 2009- Commercial Building Code
  • IECC 2009- Residential Energy Code
  • ASHRAE 90.1 & IECC- Commercial Energy Code
  • ASHRAE 62.2- Residential Ventilation Code
  • ASHRAE 62.1- Commercial Ventilation Code
  • ASTM E 1465- Residential Radon Code
  • The Maine State Plumbing Code 10 - 144 CMR 238
  • The Maine Subsurface Waste Water Disposal Rules 144A CMR 241
  • NFPA 58 - L/P Gas Code
  • NFPA 211 - Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel - burning Appliances 1996 Edition
  • NFPA 31 - Standard for Oil Burning Equipment
  • NFPA 101 - Life Safety Code
  • NFPA/NEC 70 - National Electrical Code

Besides a building permit, what other kinds of permits might I need?

  • Zoning Board approval
  • Flood Plain permit if building close to water
  • DEP permit if the project is near water/wetlands, etc.
  • Trade permits, i.e., plumbing, septic, etc.

What are the minimum construction requirements for basement rooms?

  • Moisture resistant materials shall be used wherever wood contacts concrete
  • Shoes, sills, strapping or other
  • Vapor Barrier shall be used between concrete walls and wood framing
  • 6 mil poly or other
  • Air flow space of 1/2 inch must be provided between foundation walls and wood framing and must be left open at the top
  • Drywall/plaster base shall be held a minimum of 1/2 inch above concrete floors.

What are the required inspections:

  • Close-in; Framing, & Plumbing
  • Smoke detectors are required in each compartment/room of the divided basement
  • All ground wires are to be twisted and bonded
  • Any plumbing will have an air or water test in place
  • Final; when walls are finished and electrical & plumbing is complete

How do I find my zone and setbacks?

You can find your zone by calling the code office or by comparing where your parcel is to the zoning map, but for parcels that divided among multiple zones or in "protection" regions, it is advised that you speak with the code officer. After you know your zone, you can then look here to see what you minimum lot size and setbacks are.

When is a building permit required? (commercial/public)

A building permit is required for the following activity:

  •     Any construction, enlargement, alteration or demolition of a structure.
  •     Any change of occupancy that would require greater strength of the building.
  •     Any change to another use (may also require zoning planning approval)

Besides a building permit, what other kinds of permits might I need? (commercial/public)

Often, commercial projects need several of the following permits/approvals prior to the issuance of a building permit.

  • DEP permit if the project is near water/wetlands, etc.
  • State Fire Marshall approval/review for handicap accessibility, and NFPA 101 life safety
  • Planning Board and/or Zoning Board approval
  • Flood Plain permit if building close to water
  • Trade permits, i.e., plumbing,  septic, etc.

Who can design the building or renovations? (commercial/public)

A design professional (architect/engineer) is required by State law to design any new construction, renovation work that affects fire safety elements or change of use regardless of cost.

If the work involves change of use, building layout and fire safety issues, an architect is the most appropriate design professional. However, structural aspects are likely to require an engineer as well.

What is the cost to review the plan? (commercial/public)

In some cases, review of plans will be contracted out to a third party and the cost shall be borne by the owner.

What can I do with my property in the shoreland zone?

The rules are ever changing concerning shoreland zoning. It is always best to contact the Code Enforcement Officer (CEO) before starting a project. Particularly, if it involves construction/additions, tree removal/trimming, soil/duff layer disturbance, and anything within 100' of the high water mark. The CEO will review your project and help you to determine the best course of action. In some cases, State permitting is required, in which case, a Town permit/approval will not be granted until proof of State of approval has been provided by the appropriate agency(ies). For a list of more buffering standards, view the Town of Raymond's Acknowledgement Form.